Safety helmet baskets for sale at the UCHD, March 29th
(March 23) -- As Easter approaches, hop on down to the Utah County Health & Justice Building and gear up this Easter season! As the weather warms up and children push to ride their bikes, skateboards, scooters, and rollerblades, parents can be prepared to protect their children by purchasing and using bicycle helmets.
The Utah County Health Department (UCHD) is hopping for safety this Easter by selling low cost Easter Helmet Baskets this upcoming Monday March 29th from 10 am to 5 pm. Baskets will be sold for $10 at the Health & Justice Building (151 South University Ave, Provo) in room 2601 until supplies last. Baskets will include a helmet available in sizes from toddler to adult, educational information about safety and proper use of bicycle helmets, fun activity sheets and colorful Easter eggs.
Each year, about 400,000 children under the age of 15 are treated in hospital emergency rooms for bicycle related injuries. The numbers continue to rise for children when skateboards, scooters, and rollerblades are included. Brain injury or even death can be reduced up to 85% when helmets are used. In Utah County, unfortunately only 17.6% of children wear helmets when riding bikes, scooters, rollerblades and skateboards. This leaves 82.4% of children unprotected from serious injury.
Having a helmet be presented in a fun way like in an Easter basket, parents can effectively enforce the wearing of helmets with their children. Also, the following tips are recommended for helping children wear their helmets:
- Let the child pick a helmet that they think is "cool"
- Always insist the child wear it while riding their bike, skateboard, scooter or roller blades (do not let them ride without it!!)
- Set the example by always wearing your own helmet
- Praise and reward child for wearing a helmet
- Begin the helmet habit with the first bicycle ride
- Wear a helmet yourself, and encourage other parents to buy and use helmets
- Let your child personalize their helmet with their own stickers, etc.
It is important to know how to make sure a helmet fits right.
- Place the helmet on your head so it sits evenly between the ears and rests low on the forehead (2 finger widths above the eyebrows).
- Put foam pads inside the helmet so it feels comfortable but snug.
- Tighten chin straps as snugly as possible.
If your helmet is damaged in a crash or in any other way, you should replace it even if the damage is not obvious. Helmets do save lives. Make sure your children stay safe this summer and wear helmets! For more information on how to keep children safe and prevent injury, please see our Safety/Injury Prevention page or call 801-851-7035.